Last time I switch the design of my blog, I switched to Hugo. After a bit of theme customization I had a pretty good working system. However, it didn’t take long until I tweaked one of the static generated output files.
This tweaking continued for the next few years… until now.
I’ve stuck with Hugo, but have chosen a different theme and made my customizations - mostly to make it work like a fully functioning website (with a blog), and not just a ‘single page site’, or a ‘blog with an simple about page’.
Hugo is still a little awkward a times, but, once you get over the hump it is well worth it.